Falcons' Michael Penix Jr. cleared for full practice — the QB battle is officially on
Michael Penix Jr. has been medically cleared for 11-on-11 work and will practice fully Monday, putting Atlanta's quarterback competition with Tua Tagovailoa on equal footing at last.
Atlanta's most important position battle finally gets to be a fair fight. Falcons head coach Kevin Stefanski told reporters Saturday that quarterback Michael Penix Jr. has been cleared to return to 11-on-11 work, clearing the last medical hurdle in front of the second-year passer as the opener approaches.
Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter): Falcons HC Kevin Stefanski told reporters that QB Michael Penix Jr. now has been cleared to return to 11-on-11 work.
Ian Rapoport added the next milestone: Penix is not just cleared, he is expected back on the practice field Monday, taking full-team reps for the first time since the knee issue slowed him.
Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet): A significant step for #Falcons QB Michael Penix Jr: Coach Kevin Stefanski told reporters that he’s cleared for 11-on-11 and will practice Monday.
ESPN's John Fowler flagged it as the development Atlanta has been waiting on, and it reshapes the depth chart conversation immediately. With Penix at full strength, the competition with veteran Tua Tagovailoa can start in earnest — on equal footing, per ESPN's coverage of Stefanski's comments after Saturday's 34-6 preseason win over the Colts.
John Fowler (@JFowlerESPN): Big development for the Atlanta QB.
Penix's recovery had been the quiet storyline of Atlanta's camp; an Aug-20 check-in had clearance still pending. Now the timeline is settled: full practice Monday, and a genuine battle for QB1 snaps from there.